What is a Migraine?
A migraine is a very common type of headache that is experienced by people belonging to all age groups. This headache is described as a throbbing pain in the back of your head and the upper part of your neck , blurry visions or blind spots, feeling dizzy etc.
Why is it caused?
Migraines are caused by the change, or rather increase in a hormone called serotonin in the body. Decrease of serotonin causes the blood vessels to shrink and increase of it causes swelling. This swelling can cause pain and the feeling of being dizzy r nauseous.
Women tend to experience a migraine headache more often than men because of the imbalance of a hormone called estrogen that in turn affects the serotonin levels.
What can set of a migraine?
Alcoholic beverages, specifically red wine
Chocolate or cocoa
Nuts and peanut butter
Excessive smell of onions, and so on
What is an instant solution?
The pain caused by a migraine can be unbearable and cause several side effects that are quite uncomfortable. We tend to take pain killers in a desperate attempt to get rid of the agony. However there are better steps you can take.
- Lie down in the dark-Light can cause the headache to increase and also cause blind spots
- Put a damp cold cloth over your forehead
- Massage your head applying a lot of pressure, or ask someone to give you a soothing oil massage
- Apply pressure on your temple (the side of your forehead)
What is a permanent solution?
Migraines do not have a permanent solution, but there is no reason to feel disheartened as it doesn’t occur that often if taken certain precautions. Some non-description medicines might help but do not venture into those without a proper consultation from your doctor.
Precautions to take to avoid a migraine headache
- Figure out your trigger: There are several factors that can trigger a migraine headache, figure out what’s yours. Whether its bright light or loud sounds, try avoiding it as much as you can
- Avoid emotional stress: If you think you are prone to a migraine headache, try to keep yourself calm in situations of emotional distress. Divert your rage to something productive.
- Exercise regularly: A time tested solution to every problem, keep yourself fit.
- Keep a routine: Form a routine for your body to get used, sticking to a planned schedule will keep your body stay off any uncalled for triggers.